Rambo: First Blood [Blu-ray] WSE DTS/DD-EX
- First Blood is the Sylvester Stallone film that unleashed "Rambo" onto an unsuspecting world. Wandering into a small, hostile town, ex-Green Beret John Rambo (Stallone) is targeted for persecution and abuse by potbellied Sheriff Will Teasle (Brian Dennehy). When he can stand no more, Rambo goes bonkers, killing a deputy and heading into the surrounding hills, armed to the teeth. Only after Rambo has picked off practically every law enforcement officer within a radius of 50 miles do the local authorities bring in his former commanding officer, Trautman (Richard Crenna), for advice. Trautman's response -- that the locals had better get a lot of body bags ready -- is hardly encouraging. First Blood proved to be one of Stallone's biggest non-Rocky hits. Kirk Douglas had originally been cast as Trautman, but he quit the project when the producers refused to cave in to his demand that Trautman kill Rambo in the finale. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
- Vigilantes, Miscarriage of Justice, Lone Wolves, Home From the War
- Tense, Angry, Forceful, Confrontational, Rousing, Gritty
- Deleted scenes
- Audio commentary with Sylvester Stallone
- Audio commentary with writer David Morrell
- Advanced trivia track
- Drawing first blood
- AMG Rating
- Before John Rambo became one of the most parodied action figures in film history, known primarily for strafing deserts full of enemies with his machine gun, First Blood introduced him as a hunted dog just trying to stay alive after a wrongful arrest. In a performance mostly free from dialogue, which many agree finds Sylvester Stallone at his best, the actor makes frantic escape an engrossing experience. The film's middle portion is its best, as Rambo sprints through a dense forest, emerging bleeding but intact after many near misses, including the memorable moment when he's forced to leap from the side of a rocky crag, hoping against hope that the evergreens beneath him will provide cushion. That Rambo's survival instincts often involve killing innocent cops is rendered less offensive by the first act, in which he is imprisoned merely for looking sketchy and utterly mishandled by every station of hick cop. A film whose skewed morality is best ignored in favor of veteran action director Ted Kotcheff's finesse with crisp set pieces, First Blood was a hit whose relative subtlety was quickly overshadowed by the box-office bravura and overblown idiocy of its sequels. ~ Derek Armstrong, Rovi
Blu-Ray Drive or Blu-Ray Player
4.0 / 5.0
First Blood, This movie is a without question a magnificent movie because John Rambo, an ex-green beret Vietnam veteran portrays to every vet and what they desire most mental peace of mind. I recommend this film because the award winning nominee Sylvester Stallone, stars in this movie as John Rambo, an ex-green beret. First Blood is an explosive thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat the whole way through! I love this movie for its brilliancy in plot and story. John Rambo is a character of knowledge and strength! That uses his whit¿s in and out of war. Sylvester Stallone had the lead roll in this movie in 1982, and was directed by Ted Kotcheff. This film was released October 22, 1982. This movie was based on a book of the same name and was the first of many books and movies. The explosive action in this movie will make you not want to quit watching! If you even watch five minutes of this film I grantee you will be interested the amount of thrill in this will make you watch it over and over again I¿ve watched this movie alone more than six times! That¿s how good it is! The excitement of this movie never ends! This film was shot in numerous locations such as North Vancouver, Pitt Meadows, Pitt lake, Hope British Columbia. The main actors for this film is Sylvester Stallone Rambo, Richard Crenna Trautman, Brain Denneby Teasle, I think as far as the actors and locations I see no large mistakes. I have a high recommendation for this movie because of it¿s actors, design, plot and quotes. I have a strong like for this film and I believe you will too. You have heard everything I have said about this movie and if you have any since at all you will listen to what I have said and you will go out and buy this movie right now! I¿M SERIOUS GO AND BUY IT!
5.0 / 5.0
Rambo is a classic action flick, flawlessly simple yet swarming with underlying themes that push it to the edge. The story of a wandering Vietnam vet who walks into a small, quiet town in Washington in search of his last remaining friend never reaches a happy ending. Upon discovering that his last buddy has died of cancer, John Rambo heads into town trying to find a place to eat and collect his thoughts but instead he gets picked up by the sheriff and thrown into jail for vagrancy. When Rambo starts seeing flashbacks from his days as a prisoner of war that mimic the abuse caused by deputy Teasle and his buddies all hell breaks loose as he fights his way out of the prison, grabbing his 14 split sawteeth blade, the only trusty friend in his world and dashes out in the wilderness. From his dog tags the sheriff knows that Rambo is a war hero and a green beret, but still is unable to leave him alone. He drives after him and begins a hunt, one that will change his life in allsorts of ways. Attacked for no reason, Rambo tries to talk his way out but when they draw first blood he fights back the only way he knows how, and that only means one thing - lots of surprise attacks and lots of bodies that starts to vanish, as if sucked into the mountainous terrain by a mysterious force. The more Teasle pushes to find Rambo the worse their personal war gets and in the end the town in hanging by its last legs as John unleashes all the demons in his head unto the smug sheriff and his unfriendly town. This is such a great movie, I finally got to see it again after many years and it's still amazing. I was in the mood to make it a Rambo day yesterday and see the other three parts but life got in the way. But man, this is so enjoyable and satisfying, it reminds me of the sweet days I spend with my dad watching these movies as a kid and while he lives far away they make me feel close to him. The misty, smoky mountains turned into a trap that Rambo maneuvered skillfully with bare hands except for his trusty knife. I still have a memory of my father making a replica of the Rambo knife, without the compass, so seeing it in the movie made me chuckle, the shape burned into my memory. For those who have never seen it give it a try, it's good even all those years later and has truly stood the test of time. - Kasia S.
5.0 / 5.0
The action in this movie is awesome. John Rambo is a fromer Vietnam Veteran who visits an old Army buddy and then wonders to a nearby town to grab a bite to eat. Will Teasle is a cold-blooded, brutal sheriff who tries to hunt him down. The local sheriffs department arrests him for being a drifter and then tortures him while in jail. He escapes and flees to evade the cops and then fights back to save his honor. There's plenty of action in this film. I especially love the part where he blows up the gas station. This movie shows how our veterans fought and risked their lives while serving our country and then are abused by those who they were defending when they got home.